At STM Studio Supplies, we specialise in providing top-quality dance vinyl flooring to studios, schools, and other dance organisations. However, we want to make it clear that we do not recommend using dance vinyl on concrete surfaces and will not sell our dance vinyl if you are. In this article, we’ll explore the reasons why.
The Impact of Concrete on the Body While Dancing
Dancing on concrete surfaces can be extremely damaging to the body. The hard, unforgiving surface offers no shock absorption, causing undue stress on the joints and muscles of the feet, legs, and back. Over time, this can lead to a range of injuries, including stress fractures, tendonitis, and plantar fasciitis. In addition, dancing on concrete can be extremely fatiguing, as the body is forced to work harder to maintain balance and control. This can lead to reduced stamina and performance, as well as increased risk of injury due to fatigue-related mistakes.
Why Dance Vinyl Flooring is the Ideal Choice
In contrast to concrete surfaces, dance vinyl flooring is designed specifically for dance; providing a non-slip surface that is easy on the body and enhances performance. Here are some of the reasons why dance vinyl flooring is the ideal choice:
- Cushioning: Some dance vinyl flooring provide a cushioned surface that absorbs shock, reducing stress on the joints and muscles. Look for buzz words like foam-backed, acoustic, or soft feel. This usually means there are pockets of air which help the cushioning. Please know, a cushioned dance vinyl isn’t a replacement for a sprung dance floor.
- Non-slip: Dance vinyl flooring is designed to provide a non-slip surface that allows dancers to maintain control and balance, reducing the risk of slips and falls.
- Portable: Many types of dance vinyl flooring, such as vinyl dance floor tiles and portable dance vinyl flooring, are easy to install and remove, making them ideal for use in temporary or multi-purpose spaces.
- Customisable: With colours of black or grey, dance vinyl flooring can be customised to match the unique aesthetic of your studio or school.
- Durable: High-quality dance vinyl flooring is designed to withstand heavy use and abuse within the performing arts context, making it a cost-effective long-term investment. Consider too, these are performing arts floors, they are working floors, and they won’t stay as pristine as they were out of the box!
Why We Don’t Supply Dance Vinyl Flooring on Concrete Surfaces
Given the numerous benefits of dance vinyl flooring, you may be wondering why we don’t recommend using it on concrete surfaces. The answer is simple: concrete subfloors without a sprung floor on top are simply not suitable for dance. While dance vinyl flooring is designed to provide a safe, supportive surface for dancers, concrete is hard, unforgiving, and can cause serious injury over time.
What we recommend you lay your dance vinyl on
If you’re looking for the best possible surface for your dance studio, we highly recommend installing your dance vinyl flooring on a sprung floor. A sprung floor is designed specifically for dance, providing a cushioned subfloor that absorbs shock and reduces stress on the joints and muscles. By combining a high-quality dance vinyl flooring with a sprung floor, you can create the perfect environment for dancers of all ages and skill levels. Our sprung floors are tested to 72% force reduction.
Range of Sprung Floor Options
At STM Studio Supplies, we offer a range of sprung floor options for both DIY installation and professional installation. Whether you’re looking for a portable sprung floor that can be easily moved and stored, or a semi-permanent sprung floor that can withstand heavy use and abuse, we have the perfect solution for your needs. Our team of experienced professionals can also help you with the installation process, ensuring that your dance vinyl flooring is installed correctly and securely.
Investing in a Sprung Floor
Investing in a sprung floor with high-quality dance vinyl flooring is a long-term investment in the safety and wellbeing of your dancers. By providing a supportive, non-slip surface that enhances performance and reduces the risk of injury, you can help your dancers achieve their full potential and enjoy their passion for dance for years to come.
At STM Studio Supplies, we are committed to providing the highest quality dance vinyl flooring to our customers. However, we want to make it clear that we do not recommend using dance vinyl on concrete surfaces. Instead, we encourage you to invest in high-quality dance floor vinyl, to ensure the safety and wellbeing of your dancers. With its non-slip surface, dance vinyl flooring is the ideal choice for any dance space, offering a safe, supportive surface that enhances performance and reduces the risk of injury.